Nov 16, 2007

Nice Try

No job this week, but I got a call for an upcoming job that was quite humorous/annoying/frustrating.

So, I get this call for a job, It starts off as usual…the production coordinator asks if I’m available. I reply… “Yes.” Then she tells me that the rate is union scale which is $100 LESS that my typical day rate. I pause. (I have not heard this strategy before) I like her and try to negotiate to meet them half way… say, 50 bucks less and of course, if all the other departments are taking the same cut….only fair!!! (I’ve learned to question this upfront after experiencing it the hard way…girl positions taking a cut and the guys getting their day rate…) She said she would call me back.

The next day I get a call back from her. Now the story has changed she says, well, they didn’t budget for a script supervisor and somehow working the numbers came up with X dollars (which happens to be $100 less than my day rate) They figured even though (kissing up) “You’re worth much more than that” they would try and see if I would take the job. Basically trying to get me to take a rate that someone junior in experience would get. More experience for less $$ I see where they're coming from...

Pretty sneaky those production people!!!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

What a cliffhanger - so did you take the job or not???

Rups said...

Sounds like the famous run around! You should have taken up at least five extra perks with that wage: dinner, transport, drink card, mobile phone, and a weekly massage voucher.

Rups :)

Scripty said...

Sarah: No, did not take the job, fortunately for me, another job called paying my full day rate thank you.

Also, had I taken the low pay job, I strongly feel I would have been a bit cranky on set knowing that I was the ONLY one taking a pay cut...and to make up for it I would have walked away with tons of craft service..."Hey, you don't mind if I take this case of sprite and bag of heath bars do you?"

Rups: Too funny, massage voucher, I'll have to remember that one for next time! I like your blog! Thanks for stopping by!

KL said...

What's worse that their little run-around is the fact that they hadn't originally budgeted for a scripty. WHAT??!! That tells you right there how organized they are going to be.

Aparna said...

I work in South Africa and here, we have the opposite problem. Well, kind of opposite. No-one really knows what a scripty's responsibilities are, so someone with 1 year of experience will get paid the same as someone with 5 years of experience for producing a much lower standard of work... Did I mention we don't have any kind of quality control by way of a union?

Scripty said...

Hello to you in South Africa! Thanks for visiting!