Dec 12, 2007

Hello

You know how sometimes life just takes over! Especially around the holidays…. Parties, shopping, eating, sleeping, and then throw in some work on top of that! Yikes.

The only humorous work related thing that happened recently was that a low-budget movie called me to work on the their project. We talked briefly...not about pay and then they promised to send me the script.

Then the following day, a production assistant called me saying she'd been offered a movie and wanted to know how to Script Supervise. So, I called her back and told her what I tell most newbie Scripty’s. Pay me a lot of money and I’ll tell you how I do my job.. JUST KIDDING!! I said, well, it’s a pretty complex job to explain to someone over coffee. Just talking about screen direction alone can take up gobs of time. What I recommend you do is buy the book Script Supervising and Film Continuity by Pat Miller. It covers the WHOLE job and has a great section on screen direction!. I have even recommended it to newbie D.P.’s who are wondering about shot progression and screen direction..(Comment if you agree or disagree on her book)

Being curious I ask her what job she is working on ....and it's the same people who called me the day before to do their movie! I get it they are getting options.

The next day I get a .pdf of the script and it was bad....I mean it was quite possibly the worst script I have ever read! There was really no story but what made it bad for me was that it looked to be written by a 6 year old! Now, all you production people that are script savvy realize the humor in a scene description like this "This scene introduces the character Missy" and at the end of one scene it says "Make sure we get a good shot from the top of the house looking down" and at least NINE references to "Insert Montage here", and my personal favorite "She closes her eyes (very Yoda like)” I nearly fell off my chair! Very Yoda like! How is that exactly?

The kicker is that when they pitched the movie to me they said that Fox had expressed interest in it. If that's true, gosh darn it, I’m gonna write me a script too and I’ll be a famous soon!

I find out later that it's a first time director/writer,(Duh) and a camera guy from the local T.V. station. How cute, they have NO idea how to make a movie, and they want a P.A. to be their Script Super! Best of luck to you guys, I hope that that Fox really has an interest in your movie and that they can afford to pay for post!.....But that's just the ego in me flaring...and in this business... you never know what will happen. It might be next summer's hit movie!

5 comments:

emonome said...

Pat Miller book, thanks for the recommendation (very Yoda like). The funniest description I've ever read was actually in a play...in the middle of a passionate soliloquy the author wrote [hold for applause]

One screenwriter spent half the page describing contents in a cupboard that was closed the whole scene. Ay ay. I have hundreds of those.

I think 'Fox is interested' is a load of sh*t! At one time every other writer/director I'd met seemed to have HBO interested in their pilot.

One thing I've always found irritating. When you go out of your way to advise someone, (s)he doesn't appreciate your time. Yet, I fall for it every time when I get asked for advice.

Maybe you should write a script. You'd write it ten times better than most.

p.s. I used to be able to leave comment with my Wordpress username. Can't anymore.

KendraL said...

If Fox is truly interested in this one, they've lost all respect from me.

D said...

What is great is how these idiots are so abysmally ignorant of film production that they think anybody can be script supervisor with no training. It's insulting.
Added a link by the way . Scripty.

Anonymous said...

I worked on a show late last year where there was quite a big 2nd unit to pick up slack because of lousy scheduling in the first place.

I thought the 2nd unit script supervisor was going to get prep time, etc. First warning sign should've been when production didn't even ask me to recommend someone. So I thought, cool, maybe they know this person, have worked with her before and found her satisfactory.

Let me assure you that she was NOT. I sent her a package which included paperwork blanks, photographs that she would need and a message saying to please call me at any time of day or night if she had any questions. A day goes by and no phone call, so I wait for the paperwork to come to me so I can have a look and see how she's getting on. Paperwork is incomplete, notes are a mess (typical description of a shot would be "MCU" and I'm going huh? MCU of whom? what's the screen direction?). There's no editor's log, which I had sent. So I call her and leave a message asking to forward the editor's log and DPR as soon as possible.

She calls back and leaves a message asking me what an editor's log is... I didn't really know what to say to that one.

Scripty said...

Anonymous-nor would I. Curious to know how she even got the 2nd unit gig.