Jan 11, 2008

It’s my Birthday and I’ll Complain if I want to.

Really I shouldn’t complain… I’m working and darn happy to be, but here’s my list of complaints from yesterday’s job.

It was a boring food shoot. I really try hard but I just can’t stand food shoots! A person in their right mind should LOVE them. It’s easy money. Low stress. But for some reason, I get a knot in my stomach the whole day, and I keep looking at the clock, which always seems to be going backwards. And the picky clients make me cranky.

Yesterday’s commercial was for a restaurant. We had spent the morning working on various shots of a platter of food. As we cleared the platter from camera the client noticed a small hair on a corncob which was in the back of the platter. No one had noticed it, the food prep ladies, the D.P., the stylist...no one! And I didn’t see it on the monitor. The client threatened to re-shoot the whole morning’s work because of this small hair. So, there was at least a 15 minute client-agency-production huddle to calm her down and reassure her that it will not be an issue. (Especially since the shot will only be on screen for 1 second and let me remind you that the corncob was in the BACK of the platter!)

Also, with this particular director (crabby guy) instead of standing by him, I am relegated to sit by the annoying video playback dude. 12 hours of non-stop look how funny I am chatter. YIKES!

So, to keep myself awake I spent my day walking to and from the craft service table, each time desperately searching for some food that would alleviate my pain, make me happy or keep me sane. As you can see, not much to choose from, so I’d just grab some gum and listen to the video playback guru drone on and on.

And the real kicker! It was my birthday! And production forgot! It’s a film industry tradition that when someone works on their birthday production orders a cake at lunch and the crew sings happy birthday. To date in 15 years of film I have never had this happen to me! Bummer. (maybe because I rarely if ever work on my birthday!)

But really I should not complain. It was a low stress easy day. And so what if they forgot to get me a cake…who needs more sugar. The best birthday gift was that I had a job. And in these times of small production budgets, a writer strike, and high gas prices I’m darn lucky! But the 10 year old inside of me REALLY wanted cake!

5 comments:

Emon said...

Happy Birthday, Scripty! We bloggers love youuu! :)

GregX said...

*sexy Marilyn Monroe voice*

Happy...birthday...to...you...
Happy...birthday...to...you...
Happy...birth...day...Miss Scripty...
Happy...birthday...tooo......yyouuu...

Sarah said...

Glad to hear you are working, crappy job or not. Happy Birthday. I don't even get birthday cake at home, much less at work! But Happy Birthday!

Chirag, said...

thanx for visiting my space

Casey said...

Happy birthday!!! Sorry you didn't get a cake. And that craft services table looks awful! Poor you. Maybe drop hints next year?