Feb 22, 2008

Script Supervising Classes and Resources

A reader e-mailed me with this question….

Script Supervising seems like a difficult job to get into. Are you a
member of any email lists or networking groups of script supers? Do such networks exist? It took me a lot of research to find the
instructor I have.

Great questions! ….I too spent many hours searching the web for script supervising resources. I googled and googled to no avail…which gave me the idea for this blog. Other than my blog (which of course is amazingly excellent!! And one must tell every scripty they know to read it....and everyone else for that matter....even dogs and cats might enjoy it) Does anybody know of email lists or networking groups for scriptys?

Also, if anyone can give a review of instructors or script supervising courses that would be great! Is there a good one that immediately upon graduation you're on Pirates? Or...a bad one that takes your money leaving you with an empty pocket, gloom and despair? Comment below and help out those young scriptys!!

Please note…I have added several new links to some excellent crew blogs. Take a moment and check them out! I also added a link to what Script Supervisor’s do Script Supervisor's Job In Detail. (in case you thought I just stood around eating Heath Bars)

14 comments:

GregX said...

Admit it, when you were researching to be a script supervisor, there was no Google. Come to think of it, there wasn't an Internet...

Scripty said...

LOL, sad but true! Back then I think I took notes for the editor with cave drawings...:)

iampoet23 said...

So, I found your blog and LOVE it. I have added a link on my own blog here... hope this is ok... but I do have a question - have you heard anything positive or negative about the Workshop in Maine? There is a script supervising/continuity workshop there that I want to attend badly, but can't seem to find any reviews.

Scripty said...

Having never been to any workshops I unfortunatly have no answer for you...my bible is the book Script Supervising and Film Continuity by Pat Miller. Especially if your starting out it's a great book that details everything about the job!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Here are some comments on the cinema arts and tech class with Jim Kelley Durgin.
http://www.filmmaker.com/node/13176

Anonymous said...

IATSE 871 has a link to some teachers here: http://www.ialocal871.org/teachers_edu.asp

Chris Kittinger said...

I found your blog via Michael Taylor's, and I am glad I did. Your blog gives good insight, and now thanks to the Skillset link I have found out some good information about the career choice I want to follow, Video Assist.

I hope to someday be the type you mentioned who knows when to freeze action and other things to make everything better for Director's, DPs, and Script Goddesses and Gods. Any suggestions for being the best damn Video Assist ever would be appreciated. If you want to drop me a line at dckitt@yahoo.com I would be ever grateful.

Scripty said...

Hi Chris! thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you found some good resourses! I think the best advice I can give you is to pay attention to what's going on while filming. Try and anticipate what the director may want to see played back, and when you playback, don't just play once, cycle it so they can see it over and over again. Good luck! Keep in touch, let me know how it's going!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone taken Randi Feldman's class?

Anonymous said...

Yes, if you were going to take one course or certification for Script Supervisor, which one would it be?

Anonymous said...

I too am thinking about taking Randi Feldman's class. Please let me know of your experiences. It seems somewhat expensive.

Rachel said...

Seeking an experienced Script Supervisor to work on set for 4 days in mid-November for a short that is being pitched to an Academy Award winning director. Although this short-term position is unpaid, we are offering film credit and in addition, there will be MAJOR potential for a paid position with further production if the short is turned into a feature film. This is a very good opportunity for someone trying to break into the film industry! Please contact me if you are interested!

Catherine Brice said...

mastemer58otglidarotandssocHi Rachel. You may well have got someone already but otherwise drop me an email --- cathbrice@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I am enrolled in Maine Media Workshops Script Supervising and Continuity program for a week this fall (Sept. 15-21) I can't wait! Judi Townsend is instructing! She has done everything from Groundhogs day to The Avengers last year! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006524/