Apr 27, 2008

Feed Me

I think I’ve mentioned once or twice that I consider the craft service table to be one of my favorite industry perks. I’m able to maintain my rock-solid performance and steel-trap memory thanks to a carefully maintained regimen of caffeine and carbohydrates. I try to make a point of never complaining about free food, so I’m really going against my core values by writing this. But hey, you’re worth it, so here goes the complaining…

Day one morning: bagels, cream cheese, and donuts…that’s it. Fairly normal, so I wasn’t too worried. Four hours later feeling the need to fuel my brain I checked the table. There were a few leftover … now closer to stale… bagels, cream cheese, and donuts. Added were a small bowl of mixed nuts and the obligatory pack of gum. I could see the writing on the wall. This was not going to get any better…

By the time we had lunch I was starving.

After lunch the table held a small bowl of mixed nuts, a jar of peanuts, a small bowl of ripple chips…and a pack of gum.

I wasn’t alone in my evaluation of the food. The crew did start to complain, especially since we were pulling 12-hour days. So on Thursday morning (our last day) crafty put out bagels, pastries, meat and cheese (which stayed on the table until lunch).

After lunch a new jar of peanuts, a small bowl of mixed nuts, a small bowl of M&M’s, some really awful chips with really awful dip, four Mounds bars (the "fun" size) and NO gum. I applaud the effort...but the lack of gum a definite "newbie" mistake.

The clients had their own craft service. (typically more extravagant than the crew, but in this case it was just as lame) They had some fruit and cheese in the morning, and that's it. So, the clients started milling around our crafty table searching for some awful chips or a couple of peanuts.

At wrap I overheard the lead P.A. (in charge of crafty) say to the other P.A.’s “Let’s pack up the rest of this food. The pastries I’ll keep. I’ll give them to the guys tomorrow morning they’ll love it”

I’m not sure who the “guys” were he was referring to but I hope they like day old craft service pastries.

6 comments:

Emon said...

Do they at least serve gallons of coffee? Cuz lack of constant supply of coffee is just asking to get punched in the nose.

RJ said...

Food has always been my Achilles heel, though only when there isn't any - being prone to a rather vicious low blood sugar thing.

Devon Ellington said...

Crafty is the one table in the building where you can't afford to skimp.

I am an army that moves on my stomach, so if Crafty sucks, so does my work.

Scripty said...

Emon: The coffee was horrible as well. The serious coffee drinkers came to work on day two with Starbucks/Caribou in hand.

m_watling said...

hi! it´s a script supervisor from barcelona and I´ve just discovered your blog!

my weight depends on crafty´s quality... so that I usually lose weight during the shooting...

Scripty said...

Hello Barcelona! Welcome!